June 12 – 22, 2020
The music of J.S. Bach is so popular that several cities worldwide now offer Bach Festivals, but there is only ONE International Bach Fest, held every June in Leipzig, Germany, where Bach spent the last 27 years of his life.
Sound Advice® tours has enjoyed several visits to this great festival, and I’m thrilled to be planning a return. Leipzig is a fascinating, historical mid-size city, beautifully restored since the fall of the Berlin Wall. The downtown core, in which our hotel is located, is pedestrian-only, allowing for easy walking access to the wonderful museums, galleries, concert venues, churches, restaurants and shops.
The 2020 Bach Fest will feature magnificent repertoire and a “who’s who” of international Bach performers and ensembles. Concerts will be presented in several historic venues: St. Thomas Church, St Nikolai Church, the Gewandhaus concert hall, and others.
In addition to concerts, there will be a day trip to the nearby city of Erfurt, one of the best preserved medieval cities in Germany.
As with all of my tours, the group is small and there is ample time to explore on your own, join the group for meals and enjoy post-concert beverages. I am always available to help you get the most out of this wonderful festival
< Return to Sound Advice Homepage
Double occupancy: $3,249 CAD per person
Single room: $3,579 CAD
*Prices are based on 2019 international currency exchange rates and are subject to revision
- Accommodation: 10 nights in a centrally located Leipzig Hotel
- Meals: 10 breakfasts and 4 dinners or lunches, depending on schedule
- Rick’s orientation tour of Leipzig
- Day trip to Erfurt – with private city tour
- Rick’s daily presentations/discussion on the artists, ensembles & music
- All Tips/Gratuities for included meals and guided tours
Price does not include:
- Concerts – Rick has requested 10 concerts for us—very good seats. The cost for these 10 concerts is approximately CAD $1,395 (price confirmed in Sept., 2019) due by January 20, 2020. Tickets not paid for by that date will be released.
- Flights, transfers to and from hotel and airport. We can arrange flights from cities across Canada and the US. Trip extensions are also available.
To Reserve your place:
Send in the REGISTRATION FORM with a $500 deposit.
Concert ticket payment is due by January 15, 2020 and is non-refundable. The tour balance is due by April 6, 2020. All payments are non-refundable.
Space is limited, so please register early.
Registration and Information Contact:
Jane Clemens, Vision Travel Solutions
1-800-475-9494 ext 2243
251 Consumers Rd, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON, Canada M2J 4R3
Vision Travel acts only as agents for the traveler and accepts no responsibility for the services of any aircraft, bus, hotel, concert agencies, etc. used in this tour, nor any delays, loss or accident to travelers or baggage occasioned by such services. While the organizers will do everything possible to assist travelers, they similarly disclaim any such responsibility.
The right is reserved to cancel or modify the tour. Full terms and conditions are on the REGISTRATION FORM.
< Return to Sound Advice Homepage
- Saturday, June 13, 8PM, Leipzig Opera
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis, Op. 123
Olena Tokar, Wallis Giunta et al,
Leipzig Opera Chorus, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra/Ulf Schirmer
- Sunday, June 14, 8PM, Nikolaikirche
Cantatas by J.S. Bach, J.C. Bach, J.M. Bach, H. Schütz, D. Buxtehude
Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir/Ton Koopman
- Monday, June 15, 8PM, Thomaskirche
J.S. Bach: St. John Passion, BWV. 245
Daniel Johannsen, Peter Harvey, Julia Doyle et al
Choir & Orchestra of the J.S. Bach Foundation/Rudolf Lutz
- Tuesday, June 16, 8PM, Thomaskirche
J.S. Bach: St. Matthew Passion, BWV. 244
Patrick Grahl, Peter Harvey, Dorothee Mields et al
Gächinger Cantorei/Hans-Christoph Rademann
Wednesday June 17 = no concerts, day trip to Erfurt
- Thursday, June 18, 5PM, Kupfersaal
J.S. Bach & sons: Sonatas for Viola da Gamba & Harpsichord
Pieter Wispelwey (viola da gamba), Mahan Esfahani (harpsichord)
- Friday, June 19, 5PM, Kupfersaal
Symphonies & Keyboard Concertos by C.P.E. Bach
Michael Rische (keyboard), MDR Chamber Symphonie
- Friday, June 19, 10:30PM, Evangelist Reform Church
J.S. Bach: Solo Cello Suites Nos. 1-3
Jean-Guihen Queyras, cello
- Saturday, June 20, 2PM, Haus Leipzig
Goldberg Variations, BWV. 988
Angela Hewitt, piano
- Saturday, June 20, 8PM, Nikolaikirche
J.S. Bach: Choral cantatas - Ein Feste Burg ist Unser Gott, BWV.80, Nun Danken alle Gott, BWV.192, etc.
Netherlands Bach Society/Shunske Sato
- Sunday, June 21, 6PM, Thomaskirche (Farewell concert)
J.S. Bach: Mass in b Minor, BWV. 232
Christina Landshamer, Anke Vondung, Sebastian Kohlhepp, Kresimir Strazanac
MDR Radio Choir, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra/Andris Nelsons